FIGHTING FAKE NEWS
Fake news is a scourge spread with lightning speed thanks to social media. In a guest article for Clear Europe, Ethical Journalism Network Director Aidan White explains how journalists – and others who use social media platforms to share information – can avoid spreading lies, misinformation, and dubious claims. Read Aidan’s 7 tips for fighting fake news.
HOW TO WORK WITH TV JOURNALISTS
TV journalists need experts that are available at short notice, know what they are talking about and can express themselves clearly and concisely. These were some of the tips from Deutsche Welle’s Catherine Martens at our latest News and Booze event for NGO communicators that Clear Europe hosts along with Julian Ravenscroft and Conscience Consulting.
You can read more of Catherine’s tips on how to work better with TV journalists here.
CAMPAIGNING FOR CHANGE – NEXT NEWS & BOOZE 24/04
Change is hard. Asking people to change their behavior is REALLY hard. As communicators and campaigners, are we doing the best we can to reach and engage audiences to effect lasting change?
At our next News and Booze on 24 April, American consultant George Perlov, will draw from his recent global study to explain why some campaigns work and some don’t. Sign up here.
Looking for a moderator to chair your meetings or conferences ? We have over a dozen on our books. And because most are ex-journalists we promise not to be too moderate in our moderating. We can also provide reporters to write up conferences and spice up programmes. Contact us for more information.
THINGS WE’VE LIKED ON SOCIAL MEDIA
- Among the many challenges facing journalists, add another one: robot journalism.
- Younger Americans overwhelmingly get their news from social media and user-generated content, according to a report from the Data & Society Research Institute.
- Data visualisation allows you to engage with numbers. Listen to Financial Times data visualisation editor @theboysmithy get passionate about statistics in this TEDTalk.
- Don’t know what to do with your hands when speaking in public? Sabina Nawaz has some helpful tips.
- 8 Craig Silverman techniques for finding and fixing errors in your writing from Poynter NewsU.
- Make learning a lifelong learning habit. We couldn’t agree more with this motto from John Coleman for Harvard Business review.
MEET OUR TRAINER YACINE KOUHEN
We’re pleased to welcome globetrotting Frenchman Yacine Kouhen to our team of trainers. Yacine is an expert in presentation skills, public speaking and visual communication. He has trained over 500 professionals – including CEOs, senior EU officials and TED talks speakers – to communicate more clearly, concisely and passionately.