How to build stronger relationships with Brussels correspondents
The Brussels press corps is one of the largest in the world, with 1000 correspondents. These journalists are highly influential in shaping the EU policy debate. But who are they? How do they operate? Which are the most influential media outlets? And what are the best ways of reaching them?
This one-day course will give you the information you need to deal effectively – and confidently – with the EU’s ‘fourth estate’. At the end of the day, participants will know how the Brussels press corps works, which are the key media and how to pitch stories to them.
- Intro – what challenges do you face dealing with the EU media?
- Brussels media – Who are they? How do they operate?
- Challenges reporting the European Union
- Changes in the Brussels press corps
- Key EU media players
- How to deal with Brussels media – understanding EU reporters’ mindset
- How to reach EU media – tips on press releases and press conferences
- Role-play exercise: pitch a story to an EU journalist.
Clear Europe Managing Director Gareth Harding has over 15 years experience reporting on the European Union from Brussels for publications such as European Voice, Time Magazine and United Press International. He has written a guide on ‘Reporting Brussels’ for journalists and lectured on EU media in Europe and America.
What our participants say
"Good, up-to-date insight, relevant info, and very practical tips."Euan Sellar, Communications Manager, European Venture Capital Association
"An excellent primer for anyone working with the Brussels-based media."Mark Olden, Press Advisor, FERN
Request a Quote