Hands-on training on how to make professional video with your mobile
Smartphones have revolutionised the way we communicate. Gone are the days when you needed a clunky video camera and expensive editing software to make professional-looking film. Now all you need is a decent smartphone and – most importantly – the know-how to turn your pocket computer into a powerful, professional filming device. We can’t help you with the former but we can definitely help with the latter!
In this two-day, interactive course you will learn the practical skills needed to make professional videos with your smartphone or tablet. And you will discover how to mix sounds, add credits and titles and upload your video to the web or social media. The training, led by experienced journalist, cameraman and video coach Hervé Verloes, is light on theory and heavy on practice. Our goal is that after two days you will have the confidence and skills needed to shoot and edit video with your mobile to create cracking content, promote your organisation with powerful images and drive home your message with force.
Day one – How to shoot with your smartphone
- Mastering smartphone accessories: apps, mics, tripods, clamps, stabilisers, selfie sticks
- Composing images and framing shots
- Telling your story through sequences
- Exercise: Shoot a short interview with your colleague to present your organisation
- Controlling light, colour and temperature
- Recording sound with and without external mics
- Livestreaming through Facebook Live, Periscope & Meerkat
- Pitfalls to avoid when shooting
Day two – How to edit with your smartphone
- Mobile editing with iMovie (iPhone) or Power Director (Android)
- Creating, naming and filing your project using thumbnails
- Building and assembling a sequence
- Mixing sounds, music and voice-overs
- Adding effects: transitions, shutters and inlays
- Perfecting post-production: credits, titles and subtitles
- Uploading your video on YouTube, Vimeo and social networks
- Exercise: Edit your interview and upload it to YouTube
Please click for some important information about what equipment/apps you will need to attend this course.
If you are a journalist interested in learning about how to report with your mobile (MoJo) we can tailor-make a course for you. And if you want to know how to film with a video camera and edit on a computer, check out our Shooting and Editing Video course.
Hervé Verloes is founder of Newsant, a Brussels-based multimedia agency. He has been a producer, editor, journalist and cameraman for Thomson Reuters, the Associated Press, TVE, LCI and Belga press agency. He has also made documentaries and corporate films all over the world. Hervé can teach you how to film and edit in his native French or in English, Dutch, Spanish or German!
What our participants say
"This was the most useful training I’ve ever had in this job. It exceeded my expectations by far. Hervé is very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful."Vassilis Stefanidis, European Parliament
"Hervé was really professional and always ready to answer our questions. We got very useful insights on shooting & editing videos."Ella Nicolescu, Phrenos
"It was practice-based, interesting and useful. Hervé is an excellent tutor."Ásdís Ólafsdóttir, International Crisis Group
Request a Quote