Learn to tell your story more clearly and confidently in front of the camera
Many people dread being in front of the camera as much as going to the dentist. The problem is, it’s difficult to be professionally camera-shy when communication relies more and more on you looking and sounding good on video.
In this interactive, hands-on course, you’ll learn to deliver a snappy soundbite, convey a powerful message or tell a compelling story on screen. Whether it’s for a corporate video, Facebook live or making an on-camera statement, we’ll help you make the most of your video appearance.
- How to make your point quickly and convincingly: fusing apt anecdotes with key messages and proof points
- Rehearsing without reciting: learning to live without notes on screen
- Exercise: Explain on camera what your organisation does and what main issues it deals with – and get feedback
- Presentation styles that work on camera: How to inject passion into what you are saying; reading from an autocue; keeping your body and voice energy up
- Tips and tricks for looking good on camera: How to sit/stand, what to wear, who to look at and when, what to do with your hands and how to keep eye contact
- Exercise: Analyse TV clips of people on camera. Explain what works well, what doesn’t and why
- Handling nerves, distractions and unexpected events
- Pitch perfect: Speaking slowly and clearly, changing your rhythm and tone, emphasising key words
- Adjusting your on-screen presence to your audience and cameras: Tips for doing TV and Skype interviews, speaking on panels, making selfie videos and hosting Facebook Lives.
- Exercise: Conduct an on-screen interview with a fellow participant and get feedback
John is a former journalist turned media advisor who loves telling stories, listening to stories and being in the middle of stories. A former UPI bureau chief in Vienna, he was Frankfurt bureau chief for CNBC Europe as well as a radio correspondent for CBS News. He has interviewed dozens of prominent figures, including CEOs, prime ministers and presidents. John now helps clients master media interviews, speak more confidently in public and tell better stories on camera
What our participants say
"I found the session very useful. It challenged me to think about how I can better tell stories for a TV audience."Politico Europe reporter